Accounts Payable & Procurement Manager
The Accounts Payable & Procurement Manager is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the accounts payable function. This includes purchase requisitions, bills/invoices, cash disbursements, vendor relations, account coding, monthly accruals, IRS compliance and data integrity. The Manager will manage and lead a team of three, an Accounts Payable Accountant and two Financial Associates (“Procurement Team”).
In addition, the Manager is responsible to adhere to deadlines, while ensuring compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and KQED policies and procedures. The Manager is also responsible for processing and maintaining prepaid expenses, capital expenditures, and general ledger account analysis and account reconciliations.
KQED envisions a public media organization with a culture that centers on human dignity, equity, and belonging. This will enable us to better serve and reflect the Bay Area through diverse and inclusive storytelling.
We value the contributions of marginalized people in society — including Black, Indigenous, and all people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ people — and we believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do, and we strongly encourage members of these communities to apply.
KQED Code of Ethics https://www.kqed.org/about/code-ethics
The mission that drives us:
KQED provides citizens of Northern California with a community-supported alternative to commercial media. We provide citizens with the knowledge they need to make informed decisions; convene community dialogue; bring the arts to everyone and engage audiences to share their stories. We help students and teachers thrive in 21st-century classrooms, and take people of all ages on journeys of exploration- exposing them to new people, places and ideas.
This role will work hybrid between working in KQED's newly renovated headquarters and working remotely. KQED requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Salary Information - $100,000-$110,000 Annually
- Manage the daily operations of the expenses and accounts payable function to ensure maintenance of accurate, complete and detailed records in the General Ledger and Procure to Pay systems. This includes prioritizing the work load of the Accounts Payable and Procurement Team to meet close and reporting deadlines.
- Prepare necessary journal entries related to accounts payable, accruals, prepaid expenses, inventory, capital purchases, expenses, and sales/use tax for monthly close. Ensure proper cut-off procedures are followed at month / quarter / year-end to confirm recording of expenses or capital purchases in proper accounting period.
- Direct and review month end journal entries prepared by Accounts Payable Accountant
- Enforce Prepaid Expense and Capital policy.
- Ensure timely close of accounts payable sub ledger in accordance to Finance Schedule.
- Ensure that systems, policies, and procedures adhere to KQED policies while functioning with accuracy and timeliness.
- Review purchase orders for proper account coding and functional classification; verify accuracy of vendor invoice, and accrue sales/use tax in compliance with sales and use tax regulations.
- On a quarterly basis (or as directed by Board of Equalization) file sales tax reports with the California Board of Equalization.
- Oversee all cash disbursements such as ACH, wire, or paper checks: select invoices for payment to optimize cash flow; upload check run registers to bank; limit manual checks; avoid late and duplicate payments, wrong vendor payments; correct errors promptly.
- Collaborate with Payroll on timely ACH or paper check payment of final paychecks for employees in accordance with state and federal employment laws.
- Monitor accounts payable performance: analyze accounts payable aging and discounts taken; prepare account analysis as requested and hold teaching sessions with FP&A group and other interested parties.
- Document and standardize procedures to generate efficiency and create internal templates, as necessary; recommend areas of improvement in the accounts payable process and assist in implementation of new systems if needed
- Prepare and perform monthly analyses after month-end close for pre-paid, kiosk and premium inventory and AP accrual accounts and analyses of cash out flow for AP and Payroll checking accounts. Identify and correct errors in a timely manner.
- Review year-end calculation of membership premium accruals for accuracy and reasonableness.
- Ensure proper recording of kiosk inventory sales and reporting/remittance of sales tax to state.
- Effectively communicate with vendors and departments: reconcile vendor statements and research and resolve past due items; research and resolve staff and vendor accounts payable questions; understand the responsibilities and functions of the purchasing activities.
- Process expense reports in Concur system and provide appropriate detail to Payroll to ensure timely payment to employees. Export data from Concur and work with PFO teams to ensure proper coding and recording to general ledger.
- Ensure timely, complete, and accurate credit card reconciliations from card holders and recording to general ledger. Follow up with card holders on any personal charges to obtain reimbursement to KQED.
- Maintain master vendor file and permanent vendor file.
- Manage the preparation of 1099 reports in compliance with IRS regulations and resolve any issues.
- Prepare and file unclaimed property reports with CA Unclaimed Property Department. Duties are to send notification letters to vendors notifying them that they have a check that is still outstanding after a 3-year dormant period. In October of same year send a preliminary report to State stating all outstanding checks from the same dormant period. The following June send final report to State listing all checks that have not been claimed.
- In conjunction with Controller, track lease obligations and ensure proper accounting and disclosures in accordance with GAAP.
- Assist Corporate Reporting Manager with gathering and analyzing expense data for external and internal reporting matters. This includes identification of expenses incurred for Special Events.
- Maintain Fixed Asset Database and reconciliation to Intacct. Prepare month end journal entries, as necessary.
- Work with Accounts Receivable team in preparation of check deposits on Wells Fargo CEO. This includes scanning and redaction of sensitive information to use back up internally and share with other departments.
- Archiving duties: manage the out flow of data boxes from Finance storage room and maintain list of the data boxes that have been sent elsewhere for storage.
- Supervision of any temporary accounts payable staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
1. 2 years of accounting courses or 3+ years of accounts payable experience in mid-large company. College degree or comparable experience
2. Knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices and tax 1099 regulations
3. Diplomatically communicate with staff and vendors
4. Working knowledge of computerized accounting software, excel, and word
5. Strong attention to detail and 10-key skills
6. Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines
7. Highly organized and dependable
8. Ability to work in a team environment as well as to work independently