Reporting to the Director of Donor Relations, the Volunteer Manager is responsible for creating a robust, new volunteer program that allows for greater participation and provides opportunities of interest to the next generation of volunteers.
The Volunteer Manager oversees the management and direction of the overall volunteer program and reports in to the Donor Relations team. This position leads volunteer recruitment, placement, retention, training, and engagement strategies across all areas of KQED. This position works closely with the membership fundraising team, audience development team, events team, development team and on-air fundraising team, and has a strong overall focus on strategic direction for volunteer recruitment, outreach, management of corporate and community partnerships, stewardship and recognition of both individual and group volunteers
- Provide strategic direction and management of the new KQED volunteer program.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships within the community to foster a positive image of the organization; work to engage individuals as well as schools, corporations, organizations in a variety of opportunities to help KQED with its audience development, fundraising and community engagement.
- Re-envision and run the KQED Docent Program with regular trainings to ensure that KQED’s visitors receive an exceptional tour of the building with depth of historical knowledge and ability to answer a wide variety of questions. Create a deliberate subset of the program that specifically does outreach to Bay Area schools as well as families to help grow awareness of and investment in KQED and public media, with tours tailored to meet these unique opportunities.
- Ensure that opportunities are easy to find and work to provide more exposure to the program by partnering with organizations such as VolunteerMatch and HandsOn.
- Routinely test out new opportunities with volunteers to determine where we may have unmet volunteer interests that can also address unmet organizational needs.
- Develop a volunteer recognition program that first identifies generational differences in how to recognize donors and then builds up that information with a particular eye toward late millennials and early gen-z volunteers.
- Create and maintain sub-groups dedicated to supporting different KQED teams. For example, the events team would need an usher core to help with directions and seating during events and an event registration core to assist with check-in and on site purchases. The membership fundraising team might require help making thank you calls or writing thank you notes to donors.
- In concert with the audience development team, work on creating a micro influencer program to help amplify KQED’s work, reach new audiences and surface invaluable feedback and input from new audiences.
- Work with the audience research team to identify cross team opportunities – using the audience panel to recruit new volunteers and using the volunteer group to solicit new audience panelists. The new micro influencer
- Develop and deliver timely stewardship content via email, social media, website, etc. to recognize our volunteers.
- Serve as primary point of contact to resolve volunteer complaints, issues, and concerns. Ensure a two business day response time for all volunteer inquiries across the program.
- Develop training/outreach materials to effectively conduct orientations, tours and training sessions.
- Coordinate staff and/or volunteer support for internal or external special events as needed.
- Identify other opportunities within KQED that could benefit from volunteer support and work to incorporate them into the program.
- Ability to regularly work outside of normal business hours
- Other essential duties as needed and required.
- Minimum 3 years of successful experience coordinating volunteers and/or work in the nonprofit sector
- Stellar relationship building skills and ability to build rapport with internal and external stakeholders around innovative ideas and programs
- Ability to analyze and interpret data for traditional and digital marketing efforts, including email , landing page performance, website analytics, direct response performance, and overall revenue performance
- Ability to clearly articulate the various volunteer opportunities and deliver instructions and guidance during volunteer efforts
- Strong communication skills, including prioritizing a collaborative approach to internal and external stakeholders
- Exceptional organizational skills including experience independently overseeing and executing complex projects and programs
- Ability to continually conduct program analysis and turn findings into actionable items for the program and the donor relations team.
Let us tell you more about our benefits:
Whether you’re single, married, have children, are in a domestic partnership or anything in between, we have you covered. Employees at KQED enjoy a family-friendly workplace offering 20 days of paid time off, 11 paid holidays, paid parental leave, family medical leave benefits, comprehensive health/vision/dental and commuter benefits as well as a 403(b) plan. KQED encourages diversity, openness and offers training to support personal and professional development. In addition, we are proud to offer Employee Resource Groups, wellness programs as well as free KQED membership.
The mission that drives us:
KQED is for everyone who wants to be more.
Our television, radio, digital media, and educational services change lives for the better and help individuals and communities achieve their full potential.
KQED serves the people of Northern California with a community-supported alternative to commercial media.
We provide people with the knowledge they need to make informed decisions; convene community dialogue; bring the arts to everyone and engage audiences to share their stories. We help students and teachers thrive in 21st-century classrooms, and take people of all ages on journeys of exploration- exposing them to new people, places and ideas.
We celebrate diversity, embrace innovation, value lifelong learning and partner with those who share our passion for public services.