KQED is redefining public media to be more inclusive, participatory and powered by the community. We’ve only begun to explore digital platforms and products for engagement, inclusion and community participation. And, we aspire to build a digital public service, that informs, inspires and involves our audiences.
The Vice President, Product (VPP) oversees the development, deployment and user experience of KQED products and services across digital platforms including web, mobile, voice and emerging platforms. The VPP is a strategic thought partner and a change agent; in other words, a great thinker who gets things done. Someone who can lead, manage and develop a team. Someone who can communicate the “why,” the “why not” and the “so what”. Someone who is not only data informed, but data driven. Someone who can identify media trends and opportunities and focuses on building for the greatest impact. Someone who can help us adapt to the evolving media landscape and changing audience behavior by creating and implementing products and innovative strategies to serve our audiences that will drive KQED into a sustainable future of community service. Someone who can capture our organizational values to create a trusted, respectful, diverse and inclusive user experience.
The digital unit reporting into this position currently has 16 positions, including our product team. The 7 Direct reports include: Executive Director, Software Engineering; Director of Product, Education; Product Manager, Content Modules; Product Manager, Growth; Lead UX Designer, Content Modules and Brand; Lead UX Designer, Growth and Education; and, Manager, Interactive Content.
- A champion for innovation, who translates vision into action, effectively straddling the line between strategy and execution.
- Accountable for a portfolio of existing and new KQED products and services including KQED.org and KQED’s apps that lead to long-term user retention and audience and donor engagement and growth.
- Functions as an expert, advisor and partner who formulates and executes effective innovative strategies, approaches, and solutions with a focus on digital products and experiences tied to content, audience engagement, membership and revenue.
- Fosters a strong product culture where individual product managers, designers, and engineers are empowered to discover and work on the most important problems.
- Develops a team by attracting and recruiting new talent and growing and retaining staff through ongoing coaching and professional development.
- Informed by audience data and insights as well as audience behavior and trends to determine how we conceive, prioritize, develop, and deploy digital products and improve user experiences.
- Applies best practices in design, product development and user research to grow audience, deepen engagement and drive loyalty.
- Stewards and maintains the quality and consistency of the digital user experience.
- In collaboration with the senior leaders in content, revenue and audience, strategizes and innovates based on understanding audience and user needs, identifies what products, services and experiences will bring the most value to audiences.
- Designs a more innovation-friendly and agile product development culture that is based on serving audience needs and the importance of continuous iteration and experimentation, intelligent risk-taking, rapid testing and learning.
- Seeks new ideas, partnerships, emerging opportunities and sustainable models that are effective, financially viable and within the scope of the organization’s mission and abilities to develop.
- At least 5 years senior leadership and management experience in consumer-focused product organizations. Experience at a media company or content-driven organization is a plus.
- A passion for and personal connection to public media.
- A change agent who has shaped, shifted or changed the culture within an organization or who has implemented a unique approach that has had a measurable impact on teams.
- A leader and mentor of cross-functional or multi-disciplinary teams, bringing together individuals to achieve a common purpose and shared goals.
- Proven track record in building, leading and developing a team that values and understands the importance of diversity and inclusion on the team and within an organization.
- A strategic thought partner who has deep knowledge or experience in digital media with a strong command of digital media, audience trends and outlook.
- An expert on modern forms of idea generation, product planning, development and management.
- A proven track record leading a team and overseeing a portfolio of products and/or services which serve a specific purpose and targeted audiences as well as achieve measurable goals.
- An influencer who has the ability to diplomatically and persuasively communicate with a variety of individuals.
- A hands-on collaborator who can set, develop, and communicate strategies in a way that brings alignment, action and excitement.
- A creative problem solver who has established accountability for business results.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and strong interpersonal skills which inspire, motivate and bring people together.
Let us tell you more about our benefits:
Whether you’re single, married, have children, are in a domestic partnership or anything in between, we have you covered. Employees at KQED enjoy a family-friendly workplace offering 20 days of paid time off, 11 paid holidays, paid parental leave, family medical leave benefits, comprehensive health/vision/dental and commuter benefits as well as a 403(b) plan. KQED encourages diversity, openness and offers training to support personal and professional development. In addition, we are proud to offer Employee Resource Groups, wellness programs as well as free KQED membership.
The mission that drives us:
KQED is for everyone who wants to be more.
Our television, radio, digital media, and educational services change lives for the better and help individuals and communities achieve their full potential.
KQED serves the people of Northern California with a community-supported alternative to commercial media.
We provide citizens with the knowledge they need to make informed decisions; convene community dialogue; bring the arts to everyone and engage audiences to share their stories. We help students and teachers thrive in 21st-century classrooms, and take people of all ages on journeys of exploration- exposing them to new people, places and ideas.
We celebrate diversity, embrace innovation, value lifelong learning and partner with those who share our passion for public services.