Full-Time: Director of Engineering
- San Francisco, CA
- Full Time
KQED is redefining public media to be more inclusive, participatory, and community-powered. In a time when misinformation and distrust in media are growing, we are committed to being the trusted journalistic source serving the needs of the Bay Area.
Our digital product team develops experiences to serve the needs of our diverse audiences. This includes partnering with editorial teams on essential content like the 2020 Voter Guide, developing new content formats, and building the infrastructure to power personalized experiences. Our team is still small and growing, so this is an opportunity to shape the future of KQED’s digital efforts.
One of our core values at KQED is that we are better together, and that we commit to learning, growth, and holding ourselves accountable. We value the contributions of marginalized people in society — including Black, Indigenous, and all people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ people — and we believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do, and we strongly encourage members of these communities to apply.
The Director of Engineering role is based in our new San Francisco headquarters at 2601 Mariposa Street and reports to our VP of Product & Development. Although we have some remote developers, our Director of Engineering must able to come on site whenever needed as our goal is to support an eventual return to office at least a few days each week.
In this role, you will:
- Recruit, develop and lead a team of software developers to innovate and execute our digital product roadmap for kqed.org, mobile apps and education initiatives.
- Interface with other senior stakeholders to make the right business, product and technical plans and investments.
- Develop a deep understanding of the data we employ for our users, audiences, partners and employees.
- Provide technology and architecture leadership for all KQED digital efforts. You are the CTO of our team.
- Contribute to the culture and processes of our growing product team!
We are looking for someone like you to:
- Be mission-driven to improve the quality of information and discussion over the most pressing issues facing the Bay Area. We're non-partisan, but we are not neutral: we're rooted in values of shared humanity, mutual respect, and social and racial equality.
- Bring 3-7 years of management experience leading teams of software developers to innovate and deliver on product roadmaps.
- Have demonstrated shipping multiple products for millions of monthly users, ideally in the consumer media space.
Let us tell you more about our benefits:
Whether you’re single, married, have children, are in a domestic partnership or anything in between, we have you covered. Employees at KQED enjoy a family-friendly workplace offering paid time off, paid holidays, paid parental leave, family medical leave benefits, comprehensive health/vision/dental and commuter benefits as well as a 403(b) plan. KQED encourages diversity, openness and offers training to support personal and professional development. In addition, we are proud to offer Employee Resource Groups, wellness programs as well as free KQED membership.
The mission that drives us:
KQED is for everyone who wants to be more.
Our television, radio, digital media, and educational services change lives for the better and help individuals and communities achieve their full potential.
KQED serves the people of Northern California with a community-supported alternative to commercial media.
We provide people with the knowledge they need to make informed decisions; convene community dialogue; bring the arts to everyone and engage audiences to share their stories. We help students and teachers thrive in 21st-century classrooms, and take people of all ages on journeys of exploration- exposing them to new people, places and ideas.
We celebrate diversity, embrace innovation, value lifelong learning and partner with those who share our passion for public services.