The KQED Food intern extends the efforts of the KQED Food team in acquiring, packaging, distributing and promoting national and local television and digital series. Primary support is given to FOOD series properties that include the KQED local production Check, Please! Bay Area and the digital property Bay Area Bites.
A KQED Food intern would assist in promotional press outreach, online post-production efforts, rights tracking, website generation, administrative tasks and assistance with screening and submissions (for broadcast television and online distribution) and submission and selection process, by:
- Facilitating web partnerships of Bay Area Bites (local and national audience) and Check, Please! Bay Area (local audience).
- Researching: current food and drink trends; media influencers; local chefs and restaurants; current social media trends
- Identifying partners for specific programming and online content (including bloggers/vloggers, notable individuals in the media, chefs, and food entrepreneurs) and forging relationships via phone calls, emails and follow-up.
- Creating original content (memes, Vines, GIFs) for social media as assigned.
- Uploading videos to KQED online properties via Facebook and YouTube
- Managing the department’s archives, contact databases and inventory.
- Providing support for events, screenings and panels.
- Evaluating online submissions, and vetting guest and restaurants
- Successful interns will have the opportunity to:
- Get an inside look at how a nationally-awarded production goes from guest applications to broadcast.
- Better understand the public television distribution system.
- Learn the post-production and packaging requirements for network television.
- Assist in social media and online community engagement and promotion.
- A genuine passion for food and drink, and the Bay Area culinary scene
- An interest in public media, Television Broadcast and film distribution
- Experience with social media, especially Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Experience with YouTube
- Basic video/image/audio editing skills and basic understanding of video codecs.
- Adobe Premiere and nonlinear editing experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and WordPress preferred.
- Strong online research skills, with accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to work independently learn quickly and balance multiple assignments.
- Excellent oral, written and online communication skills with a high comfort level for making new connections and reaching out to media organizations, chefs, and bloggers.
- Ability to shoot additional UHD/HD video and/or photos
- Participates as a digital production crew member for other producers, as needed.
The mission that drives us:
KQED is for everyone who wants to be more.
Our television, radio, digital media, and educational services change lives for the better and help individuals and communities achieve their full potential.
KQED serves the people of Northern California with a community-supported alternative to commercial media.
We provide citizens with the knowledge they need to make informed decisions; convene community dialogue; bring the arts to everyone and engage audiences to share their stories. We help students and teachers thrive in 21st century classrooms, and take people of all ages on journeys of exploration- exposing them to new people, places and ideas.
We celebrate diversity, embrace innovation, value lifelong learning and partner with those who share our passion for public services.