On Call: Custodial/Event Employee
KQED Custodial/Event Employees are required to complete assigned custodial and maintenance tasks in a timely and consistent manner. Assists crew members with event and meeting set-up, the moving of furniture, and other similar duties. Must be available to work days, evenings, and weekends when necessary.
KQED envisions a public media organization with a culture that centers on human dignity, equity, and belonging. This will enable us to better serve and reflect the Bay Area through diverse and inclusive storytelling.
We value the contributions of marginalized people in society — including Black, Indigenous, and all people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ people — and we believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do, and we strongly encourage members of these communities to apply.
The mission that drives us:
KQED provide citizens of Northern California with a community-supported alternative to commercial media. We provide citizens with the knowledge they need to make informed decisions; convene community dialogue; bring the arts to everyone and engage audiences to share their stories. We help students and teachers thrive in 21st-century classrooms, and take people of all ages on journeys of exploration- exposing them to new people, places and ideas.
This role will work hybrid between working in KQED's newly renovated headquarters and working remotely. KQED requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
The successful candidate will be required to join National Association of Broadcast Employees and Technicians (NABET) Local 51.
Salary Information: $32.00-$48.00 per hour
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each listed function and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic computer skills
- Knowledge of basic operation and maintenance required for the use of commercial cleaning equipment
- The safe use of basic hand tools.
Custodial /Event Duties:
On a day-to-day basis, these duties can overlap with existing tasks and are not limited to:
- Keeping building and property in clean and orderly condition
- Scrubs, sanitize and supply restroom facilities
- Gather and empty trash bins Sweeps, mops, scrubs, or vacuums floors
- Dust furniture, walls, and equipment
- Clean windows, mirrors, and partitions with soap and other cleansers
- Mix cleaning solutions and chemicals in containers in preparation for cleaning, according to instructions.
- Follows procedures for the use of chemical cleaners and power machinery to prevent damage to floors and fixtures
- Cleans and polishes fixtures and furniture
- Notifies manager of the need for repairs or additions to building operating systems
- Assist with event set up and break down as assigned
- Demonstrates an aptitude to complete assigned work order requests promptly.
- Building positive relationships with co-workers
- Demonstrates a regular awareness of the conditions throughout the facility and immediately initiates action to correct unsafe conditions (cleanup of spills, and debris, replacement of broken/burned-out lighting).
- Performance of necessary routine preventive maintenance tasks as directed by Maintenance Lead or Management.
- Ensuring that storage areas remain secured when not in use.