- San Francisco, CA
- Part Time
- Entry Level
KQED is here for everyone who wants to be more. Our television, radio, digital media and educational services change lives for the better and help individuals and communities achieve their full potential. We celebrate diversity, embrace innovation, value lifelong learning and partner with those who share our passion for public service.
KQED is looking for a responsible custodian to maintain and protect our newly renovated facilities. The external and internal appearance of a building reflects on the occupants. It is important for a custodian to be careful and thorough in working, cleaning and tidying the premises, as well as preventing vandalism.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in a custodian role focused on building upkeep. They will have great physical endurance to cover a large space. A keen eye for detail and diligence are also imperative in custodial maintenance jobs.
- Keeps building and property in clean and orderly condition
- Scrubs, sanitizes, and supplies restroom facilities
- Gathers and empties trash
- Sweeps, mops, scrubs, or vacuums floors
- Dusts furniture, walls, and equipment
- Cleans windows, mirrors, and partitions with soap and other cleansers
- Cleans exterior areas such as sidewalks, entryways, outdoor spaces with appropriate equipment as directed
- Mixes cleaning solutions and chemicals in containers in preparation for cleaning, according to instructions.
- Follows procedures for the use of chemical cleaners and power machinery to prevent damage to floors and fixtures
- Cleans and polishes fixtures and furniture
- Shampoos or steam-cleans carpets and rugs
- Cleans and polishes furniture and fixtures
- Manages inventory of cleaning supplies
- Notifies managers regarding the need for repairs or additions to building operating systems
- Performs routine maintenance activities
- Performs heavy cleaning duties
- Assist with events set up and break down as assigned
- Knowledge of standard cleaning methods and procedures
- Ability to stand, walk, and bend for many hours
- Ability to perform repetitive motion for long periods of time
- Experience with using cleaning equipment, including vacuum cleaners, floor buffers, and cleaning solutions
- Background in handling, mixing, and using cleaning chemicals
- Knowledge of occupational hazards safety rules
- Communication skills
- Ability to lift heavy objects, climb ladders and work at particular heights
- Valid CA Drivers License with a good DMV record
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Basic math skills
- High school or trade courses in shop are a plus
- Relevant certifications/training from industrial organization a plus
*Wages are paid according to a union contract. Successful applicant will be required to join NABET Local 51.