Full-Time: Senior Software Engineer - FullStack
- San Francisco, CA
- Full Time
- Product Engineering
KQED is building the future of digital journalism, reimagining what it means to inspire and engage audiences online and through emerging technology platforms. Our newly created product division is building rich digital media experiences that engage audiences with our award-winning public media content in new and meaningful ways. We are leading technological innovation within nationwide PBS and NPR networks as well as informing and enriching the quality of discussion and debate on the most pressing issues we face locally, including income inequality, affordable housing, education and the environment.
KQED’s Product Engineering team is looking for a Senior Software Engineer (Full Stack) who is passionate about raising the technology bar in the nonprofit world and has a flair for solving complex problems in the modern media industry. The Senior Software Engineer (Full Stack) should not only have the depth of requisite experience and drive to work on cutting edge technologies, but they also should be gifted problem solvers who thrive on challenges.
The ideal candidate is someone who is humble yet passionate and can work in a fast paced Agile driven, highly collaborative environment where diverse points of views are a norm.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Design & build web applications with an emphasis on content experience.
- Build rich UX client side apps with React or other JS frameworks
- Build reusable APIs for client/user facing apps in Node.js and/or Java
- Write unit and integration tests and documentation
- Build cloud based services for scalability
- Mentor junior engineers by providing meaningful and actionable feedback in code reviews
- Provide expert-level technical guidance to product managers and designers
Qualifications & Skills
- Deep understanding & knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals — data structures, algorithms and software fundamentals like SDLC, networking.
- Good knowledge of Agile lifecycle methodologies: Agile, Scrum etc.
- Strong knowledge & experience on building modern Web 2.0 applications using React or Angular, HTML5 & CSS, NodeJs, etc.
- Sound knowledge of source code management systems – like git, github, bitbucket, etc.
- Strong knowledge of dependency and package management systems like npm, babel, webpack, etc.
- Familiarity with cloud native applications and cloud platforms like GCP and AWS.
- Ability to mentor other engineers in the area of expertise.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate within a cross functional team.
Let us tell you more about our benefits:
Whether you’re single, married, have children, are in a domestic partnership or anything in between, we have you covered. Employees at KQED enjoy a family-friendly workplace offering 20 days of paid time off, 11 paid holidays, paid parental leave, family medical leave benefits, comprehensive health/vision/dental and commuter benefits as well as a 403(b) plan. KQED encourages diversity, openness and offers training to support personal and professional development. In addition, we are proud to offer Employee Resource Groups, wellness programs as well as free KQED membership.
The mission that drives us:
KQED is for everyone who wants to be more.
Our television, radio, digital media, and educational services change lives for the better and help individuals and communities achieve their full potential.
KQED serves the people of Northern California with a community-supported alternative to commercial media.
We provide people with the knowledge they need to make informed decisions; convene community dialogue; bring the arts to everyone and engage audiences to share their stories. We help students and teachers thrive in 21st-century classrooms, and take people of all ages on journeys of exploration- exposing them to new people, places and ideas.
We celebrate diversity, embrace innovation, value lifelong learning and partner with those who share our passion for public services.